Wednesday, January 31, 2018

To Love What Is Mortal

My friends, I had truly thought I would rejoin you here on Monday after my break from being on line. However, a dear friend unexpectedly died on Saturday and my heart has been fully engaged with that deep loss. I will return when I am able. The words that keep going through my mind like a mantra are those at the end of Mary Oliver's poem "In Blackwater Woods:"
"To live in this world you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, to let it go."
May death, when it comes, remind us to live this wisdom with open hearts and minds. ~ Oriah
As always the beauty captured in the photos of Karen Davis at Open Door Dreaming slows my breathing and helps me be in the moment.


4 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing the beautiful poem:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oriah, I'm so so sorry for your loss. Consider yourself hugged. Sending kazillions of angels to you to wrap you in their wings of Love and hug you tight and ease your grief. xox Sabine

    ReplyDelete