Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Ashes To Ashes

Not here much these days because I seem to be down with a nasty virus. Today, desperate for a shower I got dizzy in the bathroom and accidentally brought down a glass shelf full of breakables and ended up on the floor amidst broken glass. Humbling.

Then I read Anne Lamott's post reminding us that today is Ash Wednesday on the Christian calendar, a day that reminds us of our own mortality- ashes to ashes, dust to dust. In the shamanic tradition in which I practice we talk about making death the ally. I hear that message in this story Anne included in her post:

"When I was 38, my best friend, Pammy, died, and we went shopping about two weeks before she died, and she was in a wig and a wheelchair. I was buying a dress for this boyfriend I was trying to impress, and I bought a tighter, shorter dress than I was used to. And I said to her, 'Do you think this makes my hips look big?' and she said to me, so calmly, 'Annie, you don't have that kind of time.' (From Anne Lamott)

Reminds me of the Jack Kornfield quote that goes something like, "The trouble is you think you have time."

None of us know how much or what quality of time we have (says the woman so recently collapsed on the bathroom floor amidst broken glass.) Living is what it is about, to the best or our ability today. Because "this too will pass" includes both the small daily annoyances, the incredibly wonderful moments, and the human life we have been given.

Long, slow breath and deep gratitude for life, Oriah

Gratitude for Karen Davis who delivers these breath-taking photos on Open Door Dreaming page daily.


6 comments:

  1. Such a frightening, frustrating event. May the blessings you bring to so many return to & heal you. Thank you. cjc-GiDI. PS. Please don't post my name/contact info publicly. Thanx! Be well, Lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think when you comment anonymously your name and contact info does not go up. If you see something that looks otherwise please email me at mail@oriah.org

      Delete
  2. A well known business man in my local small town community committed suicide last week. The shock and disbelief has been with me all week. I would do something exciting and fun or be enjoying a simple moment or some music and then think of this dear man and his family and feel ill. He hanged himself but a short distance from my home, he lived close by. The fragility of life should serve us everyday. Wanting to leave this life i suppose means his self worth and self love was non existant. I struggle with the confusion of suicide at times. I also look at my wonderful life and friends and dog and job and lover and feel thankful now more than ever for knowing how to manage life when so many just can't. This event has to inspire a deeper appreciation of life. I delight in still reading your posts, i delight that you take time to share yourself. 'The Invitation' changed my life and you are a blessing at this time. Thank you and love to you Oriah. I sincerely hope you didn't hurt yourself in the bathroom ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happily (and mysteriously) I had no cuts from the fall- I am grateful. So sorry to hear about the man you knew. Don't know if he had self-love, but what we do know is that he had tremendous pain that must have felt unbearable to him. You honour his struggle by using his death as a reminder to value and appreciate your life.

      Delete
  3. While Reading One Life Many Deaths by Dr H. Brownell Wheeler MD, a book I only became aware of by a random reading the authors local obituary, I was again led to your blog. I just thought you should know especially since this is the post of yours that showed up. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete